Best total gym review, we will see the world of electronics and 24-hour entertainment, physical fitness has become a goal that not many aspire to. Those that do want to remain in good shape use exercise bands, weights, and running to work their body and maintain a good shape.
Exercise centers have had a total of 54 million members in the United States in 2015, which is almost a sixth of the country’s total population. Unfortunately, these gyms can be expensive and many people don’t even use their memberships on a regular basis.
With these numbers in mind, what should people do to stay in shape and save some money? This is where the best total gym fit machine comes in. The home gym, also called the total gym, is a series of machines that will let you work for the same muscle groups that the machines at your local gym work.
These pieces of fitness equipment are very cheap when compared to the price of extended memberships and are great for maintaining healthy exercise.
This hassle-free means of getting in your daily exercise is a great way to promote weight loss, build muscle, and tone your body. You can even do pilates on incline bench models. In addition to these features on this piece of fitness equipment, when you’re doing these exercises that promote health at home, you don’t experience the judgment that can happen in a professional exercise center.
Currently, there are a virtual plethora of these pieces of gym equipment on the market, so selecting one that will benefit your health isn’t easy. With this in mind, let’s take a look at some of the better products that are available today.
- Total gym models
- Pro’s and Cons to the different total gyms
- Download total gym programs
- Total gym accessories
- Total gym exercises
Best Total gym models
- Best Total Gym Force
- Best Total Gym Flex Force 50 in 1
- Best Total Gym Achiever
- Best Total Gym XLS Plus AbCrunch Bench
- Best Total Gym Bayou Fitness Total Trainer 4000-XL Home Gym
- Best Total Gym Bowflex Blaze
- Best Total Gym Weider Ultimate Body Works
- Best Total Gym Thane Total Flex
- Best Total Gym 1400 Deluxe Home Exercise Machine
- Best Total Gym Marcy Home Gym
- Best total gym 1500
- Best Total gym 1900
- Best total gym 1500
- Best Total gym 1900
Home gym resistance system
Our second entry is the Total gym force. Total Gym has specialized in crafting total gyms almost exclusively for more than 40 years. The Force model of the total gym has a high weight capacity of 350 pounds, so if you need a device like this for weight loss, then this is the product for you.
You can do over 60 exercises with just this machine, and the total device functions somewhat similar to a rower. In totality, the device has 12 levels of resistance for a progressive workout.
When it comes to a complete workout, the total gym force has several attachments that will help you focus on specific body groups. There are several grips and leg bars that will add a bit of versatility to this machine.
- Total Gym fully assembled- 12 calibrated (elevation) levels for an ever-challenging workout, beginner to expert, With Over 60 different exercises
- Get a total body workout in only 10-20 minutes
- Leg pulley Press-up bars Ab crunch boards Dip bars wing attachments Squat stand Exercise flip chart Nutrition guide Exercise guide. Two workout dvds (intermediate and total body workout)
- Resistance training and cardiovascular workouts on the same machine
- Work your upper and lower body; tone and strengthen all major muscle groups
- Capable of more than 60 different exercises
Another Total Gym product, the achiever is designed to work similarly to the Force. Designed with a sliding bench, this device uses your weight as the primary resistance force behind your workouts. With this system in mind, you can work for every major muscle group on this very storable machine. Using the handled cables, you can do arm raises or row pulls. If you want to work the lower body, there are leg attachments that will tone your glutes and build your calves.
The AbCrunch Plus is one of the more popular devices that we’ve featured in the guide due to the television ads that featured this Total Gym model. This is definitely one of the best products on the market due to the fact that it has a 400-pound capacity, works for every muscle group perfectly, and folds so neatly.
Not many total gyms have a dedicated abdominal function, but this device, as the name implies, has an AbCrunch bench that will firm up your six-pack.
- Total Gym XLS is Total Gym’s top-of-the-line home fitness system and is great for ages 8 to 80 – the entire family can get a full-body workout on 1 machine. Works with all fitness levels from beginner to advanced.
- Includes Ab Crunch Bench Attachment, Leg Pull Accessory, Ribbed Squat Stand, Wing Attachment, 5 Workout DVDs, Exercise Chart, Training Deck, and Nutritional/Meal Planning Guide.
- A 400 lb. weight capacity and over 80 exercises to work all of your major muscle groups – cardio, strength training, circuit training and stretching, all on one machine.
- No assembly required, universal home gym folds for easy storage
Our next product uses standard dumbbells to provide resistance. Simply add them to the side of the unit and you’ll be able to work on muscle groups with different weight capacities. This is perfect for people undergoing rehab for a sports injury. The typical rehab regimen uses gradual weight increases to restore function to damaged muscles, so this machine is perfect for adding higher amounts of load over a period of time.
In totality, this device can handle users up to 397 pounds and has a weight-bearing capacity for dumbbells of 97 pounds. While this device folds and stands up when storing it, it does have wheels at its base, making it easy to transport to its home.
- Home gym offers ideal way to strengthen and tone while improving flexibility; device utilizes your own body weight for resistance training, eliminating the need for free weights.
- Adjust percentage of body weight lifted, from 4% to 69%, by moving incline up or down; 4 program cards from warm-up to cool-down.
- Comes fully assembled, and folds and rolls for easy storage; 11 levels of resistance, Super Tuff rollers, three- and four-point pulley system, double-stitched box cushion, and oversized casters.
There are few exercise machine models that are more iconic than Bowflex. Bowflex uses a cable pulley system to provide resistance for its users and the system has provided results for millions of users. The Blaze machine can provide 210 pounds of resistance via its power rod technology; making it one of the best muscle builders in our guide. This machine has literally hundreds of available exercises that are executable via the leg extension/leg curl attachment, the squat station, and the standard grips.
- 60+ exercises for a full-body workout
- 210 lbs. of Power Rod® resistance, upgradable to 310 lbs. or 410 lbs.
- Bowflex® provides 7 free trainer-built workout regimens
- Sliding seat rail allows you to perform aerobic rowing and leg presses
- Multiple cable/pulley positions enable custom workouts
- Lat bar and squat bar included
Our next incline bench gym system has many great features for getting a full-body workout. This is also a great pilates machine because of its ability to vary the resistance level. It also packs a cable pulley system that will provide great toning and strength-building exercises. Storability is also great with this product; you can simply push it under a bed or couch when you’re not using it.
- Adjustable incline bench on wheels with a pulley on each side• Adjust the bench to a steeper incline to increase the amount of weight resistance
- Resistance Bands:• Provides the option to increase weight resistance up to 50-pounds with the addition of the four resistance bands
- Cable & Pulley System allow for greater versatility and a greater range of motion. Resistance bands increase weight resistance beyond the user’s own body weight. Features a compact space-saving design so it’s a premium option for home gyms
Like the Flex Force, this is a very compact device that will fit almost anywhere in your home; as a matter of fact, it folds up smaller than a suitcase. In addition to this device’s storability and portability, the Thane Total Flex is also a very comfortable device to use frequently.
With this device, you can execute leg raises, kickbacks, curls, rows, and even arm raises. It uses a pulley system that has good resistance and is perfect for adding form and toning to every muscle group.
- Total Flex Home Gym comes virtually assembled, just pop on the right resistance pod and it’s ready to use right out of the box with training DVD pre-loaded with six full-length workouts
- Featured in Maximum Fitness and Muscle magazine
- Best of all, Total Flex folds up smaller than a suitcase
- Whatever your fitness level: from beginner to advanced, the Total Flex puts you in a safe, comfortable position
Our final product is another Total Gym device. The 1400 Deluxe incorporates many of the features of other Total Gym products for a more varied workout. As an incline bench, this device will accurately work for every muscle group with relative ease. The goal of this specific unit is to provide a well-rounded workout regimen to home users that only takes about 20 minutes of daily exercise.
- Strengthens and tones multiple major muscle groups simultaneously
- Delivers a total body workout in only 10-20 minutes
- Over 60 different exercises – cardio, strength training & stretch all on 1 machine
- Accommodates beginner to advanced fitness levels – ages 8 to 80
- Arrives fully assembled & folds for easy storage
Our last total gym is a device by Marcy that is designed to increase your strength by including a full stack of weights that total 150 pounds. This total gym has a set of features that deliver results and are perfect for working every part of your body. Want to work your arms? This gym has a bar that will let you do butterflies so that you can work all of the major arm muscle groups. What about your chest? The same bar can be used for chest presses. If you want to work your leg muscles, there is a leg lift assembly right under the bench.
Our next entry has 50 unique exercises that you can do from the comfort of your home. It’s also a very storable model that folds neatly so that you don’t have to have an eyesore in the middle of your home when you have company. It’s comprised of steel, which means that you can expect this device to last you for years of use.
With this device, you can do seated high rows, bicep curls, chest presses, leg extensions, and over 40 additional full body exercises. In addition to this, with the purchase, you get ten training DVDs that feature star professional trainer Ashley Marriot.
Comprehensive workout machine for strengthening and toning muscle groups Employs user’s body weight and gravity to provide smooth, fluid resistance Folds up for easy storage; includes 2-in-1 exercise video and exercise booklet
Measures 88 x 44 x 16.12 inches (W x H x D); 1-year warranty Solid steel frame with the box-stitch seat; offers more than 60 proven exercises
Strengthens and tones multiple major muscle groups simultaneously Delivers a total body workout in only 10-20 minutes Over 60 different exercises – cardio, strength training and stretch all on 1 machine 12 calibrated levels allow for 3-45% body weight resistance Accommodates beginner to advanced fitness levels – ages 8 to 80 Arrives fully assembled & folds for easy storage 350 lb user weight capacity.
How Does The Total Gym Work
The Total Gym is a bodyweight system. The different parts of the total gym are. A gliding board, which is on rails. You position your body in different positions for different exercises and the gliding board moves along rails. The gliding boards rails are attached to a column in which you can raise the board or lower the board to change the intensity of the exercise. Changing the percentage of bodyweight you are moving.
The range of exercise you can do is endless. The range of accessories you can use is big. Please click on our accessories link. On there is a total exercise chart. The total gym is also used for pilates as a reformer board. Which you can have at home. Unlike the reformer, the total gym is easy to store away.
We also have a video series on youtube on how to use the total gym and a range of beginner exercise.
Pro’s And Cons To The Best Total Gyms Above
|1.Total Gym Force||• The bench area of this device is very padded, so that your session is comfortable.|
• The high weight capacity is a excellent feature for users who need to shed a lot of pounds.
|• The mat that this device rests on has an odd odor that has put some purchasers off.
• The device is somewhat hard to assemble.
|2.Flex Force 50 in 1||• This device easily slides under objects when folded. If you need room, simply place this light total gym under your bed.|
• The bench is very padded, so that long workout sessions are comfortable and easy to do.
|• While you can work every muscle group with this product, it’s not the perfect option for overall versatility.
• It doesn’t have as high a weight capacity as some other products on the market.
|3.Total Gym Achiever||• This is a comfortable machine. Not only is the padded bench area very comfortable, but you’ll also get padded back support as well.|
• Total Gym actually offers a two month trial for this device, so that you can decide if it works for you.
|• While it does fold down pretty well, since it has a back rest, you’ll have to fold this section as well. This can actually be a nuisance after a workout.
• Some customers have noticed that some of the welds on this device are spotty and can break off. Fortunately, Total Gym has a six month warranty on the product.
|4.Total Gym XLS Plus AbCrunch Bench||• Comes with numerous attachments that make focusing on different muscle groups easy.|
• Deploying the machine from its storage position and using it only takes seconds.
|• With only a 97 pound weight capacity, you won’t be able to do many strength building exercises when you get to a more ideal shape.
• Squats on this machine are a bit curtailed, so you don’t really get the proper form while executing these exercises.
|5.Bayou Fitness Total Trainer 4000-XL Home Gym||• The workouts on this device are smooth and easy; the pulley system allows for great muscle isolation and toning.|
• This is a comfortable machine to use for long periods.
|• This is a heavy device. When assembled, it weighs over 200 pounds, so it can be a hassle to move from place to place.|
|6.Bowflex Blaze||• This device has great build quality. The components are steel and the bench area is comprised of sturdy, yet comfortable leather.|
• You’ll get a great total body workout with this device.
|• This isn’t the best device for users over six feet in height.
• Users have complained that the gliding on this device isn’t as smooth as it can be.
|7.Weider Ultimate Body Works ||• This device’s size is something to behold; it’s very small and compact. Despite this, it still feels like a larger machine when you use it; making it perfect for fitness enthusiasts with little space.|
• The Total Flex comes virtually assembled so that you can get right to your exercises; fresh out of the box.
|• Resistance levels aren’t very high, so don’t expect to do too much bulking up with this device.
• The padding on the seat can wear quickly.
|8.Thane Total Flex||• You can have a level of weight resistance that equals about 75 pounds, which is a decent amount for those looking to tone.||This device only accommodates 275 pounds, so if you exceed this, you’ll have to drop a bit to safely use this exercise.
• This isn’t the sturdiest machine on the market; some users have damaged it during use.
|9.Total Gym 1400 Deluxe Home Exercise Machine||• This is a smallish machine that will fit in many homes. It has a 24 square feet area and is only about seven feet in height.|
• As a steel unit, this device will last for years.
|• With only 150 pounds of weight, you won’t be building mass with this gym.
• The weights are cement blocks, so there is a chance of breaking after extended use.
|10.Marcy Home Gym||• This is one of the most storable devices in this guide. If you have limited space, then this is a good total gym solution for you.|
• This is also a very versatile machine. Even though it has a smaller form factor than many gym standbys, it feels the same in use.
|• The cables that provide the resistance can get tangled; if this happens, it’ll be difficult to fix.
• The bench can get uncomfortable after long workouts.
What I Love About The Total Gym
- My 15-Year-old Total Gym 100 still going strong
I have had a total gym for about the last 15 years and I still have the same total gym. I have been a trainer in the health and rehab world for the last 20 year. Working with a range of people from my 70 mum to 15-year-old athletes. So the key thing I had to do was find the most user-friendly piece of equipment I could find.
Which was easy to transport in a car. To be able to work in different environment range from someones home to the side of a running track. I have even taken it on film sets and using it with race car drivers in there garages for prehab.
The key one I love about this machine is how to ease you can do back work with a client of any age and ability with the adjustable height settings. Also having a cable system it also gives consent tension on the muscle and joints aiding in quicker development.
Due to the success of the total gym with my client, they have gone out and bought there own. Now I have my one still in my gym at home which the whole family uses.
The Best Total Gym’s Limitations
The main limitation to the best total gym is the load or bodyweight it can handle. Each model has different load limits. So when choosing a model please check that the load limits meet the needs of your body weight. To avoid the risk of the total gym falling.
For example, the Total Gym 2000 only has a 300-pound weight limit, while the Total Gym FIT and To\\l Gym XLS can both support up to 400 pounds.
Determine Your Experience Level
A beginner is someone who has been working out for less than a few months, and someone who has been training for between six months to two years is at the intermediate level.
If you’ve been training for two years, then you’re at an advanced level. Although a total gym can work for people at all levels, it offers the greatest benefits to intermediate and advanced users.
Weight Limit and Frame
Many consumers purchase a total gym and never consider the weight limit. This isn’t a major problem for lightweight individuals, but for heavier users, it can be a costly mistake.
You should always check to make sure the product can support your weight, and it’s important to consider the frame strength. Some total gyms can support up to 500 pounds, but you’ll also find several products that have a maximum weight limit of 200 pounds.
To enjoy the highest level of safety, it’s a good idea to buy a product that can support at least 100 pounds more than your total weight.
Storage and Folding
It’s quite common for total gyms to feature a foldable design, which can be very convenient. These products are commonly sold as neat packages, and if you don’t have a lot of extra space, you should consider getting a foldable model.
Resistance or Bodyweight
A total gym might force you to train with bodyweight exercises, and for most people, this is a great way to lose weight and build muscle. However, after a certain point, bodyweight exercises won’t stimulate your muscles enough to make them grow, and you’ll need more resistance.
The best total gyms allow you to train with your bodyweight and resistance, and you’ll get the best results from these products. Extra resistance can be added with strong cables, or it can be achieved by manipulating exercises in a way that causes you to lift more of your bodyweight.
What Can You Do with It?
As mentioned earlier, the main reason why most people get bored with fitness is that they don’t get enough variety in their workouts. A total gym isn’t exempt from this problem, and the best products should give you access to many different exercises.
For example, some total gyms are designed to give you access to 60 different exercises, and they’re great for cardio and strength training. With such a wide variety of exercise options, you can completely customize your workout and make it exciting.
What Body Parts Can It Target?
A total gym that offers 60 different exercises is almost useless if it can only target your arms. Many of the best products make it easy to target your lower body, upper body and core.
These are the three major muscle groups, and you’ll get the best results from a total gym that can target all the different muscles in your body.
Some products allow you to perform many different exercises, but they don’t come with a way to adjust the resistance. This can be a problem because the product won’t be able to grow with you.
The best total gym allows you to adjust the resistance, and to increase the weight, it changes the angle and forces you to lift a greater percentage of your bodyweight. The major advantage of this design is that the machine doesn’t need any weights. So those olympic weight sets you bought last January can be sold on ebay! hahaha!
By increasing resistance with your own body weight, a total gym can save you hundreds of dollars, and it will serve as a compact piece of fitness equipment.
How Does a Total Gym Work?
Most total gyms come with a glide board, and your muscles are worked using the board. Depending on what the resistance is set for, you’ll be able to lift part of your total bodyweight.
The glide board uses gravity to turn your body into a weight, and by altering the incline of the board, you can add or decrease the total resistance. A total gym comes with several accessories, which allow you to lift your own body.
Weight and Size
Many consumers don’t pay attention to the size and weight because they don’t understand how it affects them. It should be obvious that the size of the product plays a major role in determining where you can use it, and since some total gyms are very large, they’re great choices for a large house.
Products that have a small, compact design are ideal for apartments. The total weight of the gym is also important because it determines the stability of the product.
A heavier total gym is much more difficult to lift and move, but it offers better stability than a lightweight alternative. If you’re a heavier person, you might want to consider getting a heavier product.
What customers are saying about the total gym
I’ve been going to PT for piriformis syndrome and bought this to transition to a home program. They have an industrial size Total Gym at PT. I’ve been more than pleased with this model! It’s lightweight enough to move around, yet sturdy enough that I think I will get many years of service out of it.
I absolutely love this resistance chair! It is portable, so I can move it easily from room to room. It was very easy to set up – which meant I could start using it 15 minutes after taking it out of the box. I was very concerned about getting this product and not receiving the DVDs others have mentioned-but mine came with them! Great purchase! I would definitely recommend this to a friend or family member.
To be honest, my expectations were very low. After all, the other Total Gym systems are over $600. There is one in my in Academy and the cover was torn and it looked terrible. I expected to use it until it broke and then I would be stuck with it.
However, it’s been great. It does come with a wing attachment which is useful for pull-ups or even to put your feet in for inverted crunches. In the manual, there is a number to call for replacement parts, so even if there is a problem.
Showed up & was ready right out of the box! Unpacking was so easy and all the attachments & videos are great! If I at 61 can do this then anyone can, thank you Total Gym & Amazon for making my shopping so simple!
I’ve been using the total trainer for about 9 months now and I’m finally comfortable leaving my thoughts on it. Overall, I think this is the best value in a Total Gym type of machine and I would not hesitate to recommend it to others. I love mine.
Are You Still Not Sure Where To Start
A few questions to ask yourself to help getting started
Q. Are you looking for a machine which I can use at home easily and quickly to help improve my health and fitness?
A.Yes. This machine is perfect for home training. Due to the range of exercises, you can do to manage the overload intensity on the body.
Q.I have a small area to train. Will the total gym take up a lot of room?
A. The total gym can take up to 3.5m max but the great thing about it is the storage. When it is folded you can store it under the bed. Even under some height sofers. XLS Unfolded: 19″ Width x 90″ Length x 43″ Height Folded:19″ Width x 51″ Length x 9″ Height
Q. Can a total gym help me lose weight?
For the training part of a weight loss program. The total gym is great a cable system and the ability to do integrated exercise (using the whole body).
This means you are getting a putting a greater demand on your bodies hormonal, nervous and muscular system. Which is the key to getting the body to lose it and shape up.
For more exercises please visit out total gym exercise page for more workout ideas